Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My First Blog

I have been after John for a while to create a Harmon Family Website, but between work, callings, and owning an old home he was never able to find (or wanted to find)the time to do so until a few days ago. By that time I had seen several family members who had started blogs (to be fair, the most consistent are my female cousins) and thought that might be an easier option for someone not as technosavy as John.



One of the reasons I put off starting a blog was because I have a secret. I knew I would spill if I started a blog so I decided to wait until I considered it safe to tell my secret. My secret is, I'm 13 weeks pregnant with our first child! I wanted to wait until it was "safe" to tell and my Dr assures me now is a safe time. Here is an ultrasound I had at 12 weeks. John, being the proud father that he is, told me our baby looks like an alien. I got mad at him so he showed it to my brother Jason who said the same thing. I blame it on them being boys.


Being pregnant is a scary and amazing thing. I constantly worry if I'm eating right, sleeping enough, or exercising enough. John is concerned with that as well, but he's worried more about physical things he can change, like finishing up the bathroom remodel (as my brother Jason delicately said, "pretty soon she'll be so big she won't be able to get out of that tub by herself") or figuring out which room would be the best room for a nursery. He was there when the Dr told me I had to take it easy and not to do heavy lifting, get on ladders (he won't even let me stand on a chair), or vacuum, sweep, and mop.


I've also discovered that I have hormones. Not very happy about that and I'm pretty sure John isn't either. Yesterday I started crying on the phone while talking to him about a decision I made a couple of weeks ago (we are giving away our dog because he's too big, bouncy and jealous to have around a baby. Plus, he likes to smack things on the head to get them to play with him and that's not a funny image to have of a big husky smacking your baby on the head and then running away to get chased). Like most men, John hates hearing or watching me cry because most of the time he can't fix it. I assured him it was hormones and apologized. I called a good friend of mine (who is due in January with her 3rd) and she told me what her husband does when she starts crying. He asks if it's something he did, something he could get her or if he needs to leave her alone. Then he stand in the corner as far away from the crazy pregnant lady as possible.


I'm sure I'll have many more adventures as my pregnancy progresses, but for now, I'm enjoying the ride.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the pregnancy and the blog. Your baby does not look like an alien. He or she already looks adorable. It almost looked like a smile on his or her face.
    Well, i hope you add lots of pictures and going ons to your blog.
    Love
    Marsha
    PS welcome to blogging

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! It will be fun to keep tabs on you and see how you've been doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for you! Sounds as if you are both happy and doing well. I think John has watched too many scary movies, the baby does not look like an alien. I'm sorry to hear about the puppy, he was always a handful :), but at least you will find him a good home. I am so glad you sent this to me, I have changed computers and lost almost all info. Keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete